Having loved ones on speed dial was a common feature on most landlines and feature phones. Since contacts are just a tap away on iPhones, speed dialing is no longer available in newer versions. There are third-party apps available on the App Store that can help you add contacts to the iPhone home screen.
Add contact to home screen on iPhone
However, children and the elderly will find speed dialing in the form of contact shortcuts on the iPhone home screen when they need to quickly call someone in an emergency. First, we’ll start with Apple’s own solution.
1. Use the Shortcuts app
You can do a lot of cool things with Siri shortcuts like creating custom icons and playing YouTube videos on PIP. In addition to these complicated sets of actions, you can also create simple shortcuts to call your loved ones from the iPhone home screen.
one. Start by opening the Shortcuts app and tap the + button in the upper right corner to create a new shortcut. Tap Add action to bring up the list of actions.
two. Search To call or Facetime. You can choose any of those. However, you will only be able to make a FaceTime call if you both have an internet connection. Whereas a normal call would be made independently.
3. Now, touch the Contact on the phone actions tile.
Four. Choose the contact of your preference. Tap on the Options button in the upper right corner.
5. Tap Add to the home screen. On this page, we’ll give our home screen icon a name and icon. You can choose any photo from the Photos or Files app. Give it a name and tap Add button in the upper right corner.
6. Your contact has been added as an application icon on the home screen. Save the shortcut by giving it a name and touch Done in the upper right corner.
7. You will find your contact on the home screen. Just touch the icon to make a call.
2. Use the Widget app to add a contact to the home screen
Widgets have transformed the way users use their iPhone’s home screen. From purely cosmetic to feature-rich, there are widgets for every use case. You can install Widget Contacts to place one or more contacts on the iPhone home screen and call them with a single tap. The application is free to use and allows you to put two different contacts on the home screen. After that, you need to upgrade to the Pro version for $ 1.99.
one. Start by installing the Widget Contacts application on iPhone from the App Store. Open the app and you will find three styles of widgets that you can place on the home screen: small, medium, and large. The small widget places one contact on the home screen, the medium widget places four contacts on the home screen, and the large widget places 9 to 12 contacts.
two. For the demo, I chose to use the little widget. Tap Add a favorite to add a contact to the list.
3. Choose the contact you want to place on the iPhone home screen. You can customize the look of your widget and change the display image, contact name, and text color.
Four. After making adjustments, press the Save button in the upper right corner.
5. Close the app on the home screen, press and hold anywhere to enter jiggle mode. Tap on the + button in the upper left corner to add a widget. Scroll down to find Widget Contacts and tap on it.
6. Select the 1 favorite widget and touch Add widget. I would see a widget but not the contact.
7. Now, press and hold to open the widget options. Tap Edit widget and now you can add the contact we added earlier to the app. Here, you can select the contact, its style and action. Unlike the shortcuts, you can choose between Call, FaceTime, WhatsApp, and Skype.
There you go. This widget would act as Speed Dial and every time you tap on the widget, it directly gives you the option to call the person.
Widget Contacts is a well designed application for adding a contact on the iPhone home screen. Unlike shortcuts, the icon is 4 times larger and easier to locate.
3. Add people to your emergency contacts
Although it is not the same as putting contacts on the home screen, it can be useful when you are in an emergency and want to contact someone. Emergency SOS does not actually call your assigned contact, send your current location via SMS, and contact the emergency helpline number.
If you have not yet set up your emergency contact, please do so now.
one. Open the Contacts app, scroll down to the contact you want to add as an emergency contact. On the contact details page, tap Add to emergency contacts.
Tap Done in the upper right corner and that’s it. You can delete the emergency contact at any time.
How do you add a contact to the home screen on iPhone?
These were some solutions to create speed dials of your chosen contacts. The Shortcuts method works seamlessly and allows you to call or FaceTime with one tap. Widget Contacts takes you even further and also offers WhatsApp and Skype calling. What do you think? How do you add contacts to the home screen? Let me know on Twitter.
Read also: 15 Best iOS 14 Icon Packs (Free & Paid) To Customize Your Home Screen